Saturday, September 08, 2007

In the Eye


They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You know what I mean. You could give the same felted bag pattern to 5 different knitters and you would end up with five totally different bags. So different sometimes that you wouldn't even know they started from the same pattern. They would be different colors, someone might add beads or fringe or something totally wild while someone else would tell you they hated fringe. They say that your taste buds change every seven years - can your "beauty eye" change too? For instance, when I started knitting I really didn't care for felted bags. I thought they were ugly and I couldn't figure out why someone would spend all that time knitting something big just to shrink it down. Now I love felted bags and make lots of them. I find the same goes with color. I have never particularly liked green and I find lime green a very unappealing color. However I recently went to a big sale at a LYS and kept finding myself drawn to this lime green Malabrigo. I went back to it several times and finally decided I HAD to have it. I convinced myself I would use it to make something for my daughter who loves the color green. But you never know - you may see me wearing something lime green very soon! So how is it that my visual taste buds have changed so much?

2 comments:

Janice said...

I think our changing tastes keeps life new and exciting. I'd hate to think I still liked all the same colors/styles of 10 years ago! I usually don't like a new fad when it first comes out, then it grows on me and finally I LOVE it. Of course, by then it's gone out of style... Oh well.

Anonymous said...

It matches the yellowy-green colors in nature all around us in California. (As opposed to the more bluegreen back East.)

I love your photos, and I'm wishing I had a photo of the birds nest I found on my roof: twigs, leaves, and pink koolaid-dyed Romney wool roving.