Friday, November 23, 2007

Fetch Me Some Yarn

We're still in Oregon for Thanksgiving week and having a wonderful time. I decided Mom and I needed a project we could do together so, motivated by Janice's wonderful Fetchings, I brought yarn for Mom and I to try this project. I got the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran called for in the pattern and they have been very fun to knit. The first one I made I - GASP - actually followed the pattern. It knit up quickly and is quite cute but it is not long enough for me. I think it will be perfect for one of the girls or a friend with smaller hands. So the next one I decided both to make it two tone (why pick when there are so many wonderful colors) and also to make it longer. I added a row of cable to the bottom, 4 extra rows in the middle and a row of cable at the top. Oh I guess I lied before, I didn't totally follow the pattern even the first time. The piquot bind off makes it too floppy in my opinion so I did a cable row and then bound off. I like the way it makes it lie flatter on my hand. It has been really fun making a project at the same time as Mom. She however actually started the second mitt for the first pair before starting a pair in a different color - what's with that???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No second mitt syndrome? Wow.

hakucho said...

Your fingerless mitts are beautiful!

happy knitting :)

km said...

I finished a pair of these in August, but I never posted them because the'll be a Christmas gift...and I wasn't sure if the recipient might figure it out. Fetching is such a fun pattern.

Janice said...

What fun! I love the two tone ones! I also make mine quite a bit longer.
It is a fun pattern, tho!!

Jknits said...

I love the two tone combination! What a fun idea to knit with mom.

Brooke Knits said...

ok, you rock.. the mittens are sooo cute...do you still have the first scarf you ever k nit?? I do.. and it is soooo horrible. I can't believe the progress I have made in 2 years of knitting.. can't wait to see how much improvement is made in the next 2!!