Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day

First a moment to honor our Veteran's. We shouldn't forget the meaning of today so I'd like to take a moment to say thank you to the men and women who have served our country. In discussing Veteran's Day with my 12 year old she asked, "does everyone want world peace?" My first reaction was - clearly not or we wouldn't have war. But then she started asking who doesn't want world peace and why don't they want it? Such difficult questions from a young mind! I'm going to need to work hard to keep up with this one. As to the holiday side of things - I know several people have today off. I unfortunately don't so if you do - do something fun for me too OK?
Today's knitting is brought to you by Mom. It is the Seamingly Simple Vest by Blue Moon Fiber Arts. She got the pattern and yarn at Stitches West this year and it is really quite clever. You knit one really long, wide panel which ends up being the front of the vest. It goes from the bottom of one side, up and around your neck and back down to the bottom of the other side. As it goes behind your neck it folds creating a natural collar. Then you pick up stitches and knit a panel down the back and seam it to the sides. That's it. Just a whole lotta ribbing. She is doing a great job and I can't wait to see it all finished.
Speaking of finished - I finished the Jamaica pouch awhile ago and wanted to show you how it turned out. I highly recommend this pattern for colorful cotton. It is quick and really cute.
Currently I am struggling with a holiday scarf. I bought some gorgeous Touch Me yarn in both deep red and deep green with an idea of what I wanted to make. However it didn't look right. Since then I have tried a number of patterns and nothing is quite right. It's making me crazy but hopefully I can find something soon before the yarn wears out! If you have any great suggestions for a two color scarf please let me know.

2 comments:

hakucho said...

Your Mom's vest looks very interesting. I LOVE your pouch. It's awesome...very nice job and I LOVE the colors :)

Janice said...

The vest looks great.. How wonderful to have your mom to knit with!! I taught my mom and few months back but it's a slow go. (She's busy with her wheat weaving...) I love the pouch! I think I need to make some of those. Add it to the list.......