Friday, December 19, 2008

Distractions

I should be doing my Christmas cards, wrapping gifts, decorating the tree, cleaning the house, working on my holiday scarf, finishing my sister's present or so many other responsibilities that are looming as the big day fast approaches. So why do I find myself casting on for a cabled hat? I admired Monica's hat and she was kind enough to share the pattern with me. I found this gorgeous yarn in my stash and decided it was just perfect. She started off with the cables immediately. I decided to do a garter brim. I think if I did it over again I might do a ribbed brim - we'll have to see how it looks. I'm also thinking about casting on a different hat for myself. Why can't I focus and stay with my other responsibilities? I guess that is what knitting is for right? An escape? My wish for you is that you slow down and enjoy the rest of the holiday season and that you take the time to engage in some escapist knitting!

4 comments:

LisaW. said...

you always make the very cutest hats! and inspire me to throw another one on the needles. hope the weekend and the rest of the holiday season allows for time to enjoy family, friends, and a little peace and quiet for yourself.

Janice said...

It's called 'creative avoidance' and I practice it before every major holiday or event that has too big a list of 'to do's'! LOVE the hat. Maybe Monica will share it with others???!!

Anonymous said...

You just sparked the idea I'd been looking for. I had someone I wanted to make something for, but what... a hat! (Duh.) Of course! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I am doing what you are doing.. I should be cleaning for Christmas at my house and wrapping presents but noooooo I am busy blogging and knitting *lol* But you know its the holidays I say knit on.