Sunday, April 22, 2007

Spring Challenge

I decided that I need to try something a little more challenging than the felted bag or typical scarf that I seem to be spending most of my time on. So I decided to try one of the shawls out of the Victorian Lace book. I bought some gorgeous alpaca silk at Stitches West and picked a shawl that I thought I could do. I must say that it is fun although it requires a LOT more attention that knitting a felted bag. I also keep ending up with the wrong number of stitches! Intrestingly enough, when I heard the author speak at stitches her view as that you just "fix it and add a new stitch" rather than going back and tearing things out. I like that approach! So far my little fixes don't appear to be noticeable but I think I won't truly find out until a get a little farther. Has anyone else made anything out of Victorian Lace?

5 comments:

Jknits said...

I love the colors in your photos. The Victorian Lace project looks like it must be very interesting. It is good to hear the perspective about the stitches. I've done that, but always felt guilty about it.
Jen

hakucho said...

I'm not good at fudging stitches...usually when I do it comes back and haunts me later...so usually I tink back and sometimes earlier is better if you know what I mean!

Good luck with the shawl. Can't wait to see more of it :)

happy knitting :)

HoJo said...

I'm a fix and fudge knitter. I often throw in a k2tog or increase when my stitch count doesn't come out right. I also employ a large number of stitch markers so I can narrow down the place of my booboo.

As for felting, when you were in the other day, I meant to show you Poems a new wool that has color runs very similar to noro kureyon.

monica said...

I hope your fix method continues to work for you, I am a tinker and a firm believer in life lines. I love the color you are knitting it in.

LisaW. said...

Hi Allison, send me your email addy so i can add you as a poster to the elann shawl knit a long. you can reach me at midwifeknitsatyahoodotcom
I should have the site up by Monday or Tuesday at the latest!