Sunday, February 10, 2008

Springing Up

I found these bulbs in my garage. I guess I forgot to plant them. But that didn't stop these guys - they are bursting out anyway! I'm going to get them in the ground quickly so hopefully I'll have some pretty tulips in the spring. They are currently resting comfortably in the hat I'm making out of the cute baby yarn I bought in Ojai. It is for my friend who is adopting a baby from China. Her new little girl is about 1 year old so hopefully I'm making this large enough. She leaves at the end of the week to get her and will have to spend about 3 weeks in China. I'm so excited for her. They have been hoping for this for about 4 years! She also has a little girl who will be 2 in March so I'm going to make her a matching one in the pink yarn. I am using a stitch called mock cable or baby cable and it is so easy! No cable needed. It is K2,P2 rib and then every four rows rather than K2 you K2TOG but then instead of slipping it off the needle you knit one more in to the right stitch and then slip it off. Viola! Baby cables without a cable needle. Pretty darn cool if you ask me.

7 comments:

monica said...

That is going to be a very sweet hat. I am happy for your friend.

Janice said...

Congratulations to your friend. She will love the hat. I'm insanely jealous that you are able to plant bulbs right now. It is 25 below zero with the wind chill. Not fit for human habitation in my humble opinion.....

hakucho said...

Beautiful hat...that is one of my all time favorite pattern stitches! I'm sure your friend will adore it. Good luck to her...hope her trip and adoption goes smoothly.

We're frozen here...the only place we could plant bulbs here is inside ;)

happy knitting :)

km said...

I love that trick cable. I'll have to try it out.

Vicki said...

the bulbs will be fine, I once left bulbs over the winter on my front porch..cold here in the N.E..
well, they were planted the next spring and came up!
Vicki

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your friend!

smariek said...

Congrats to your friend, she must be very happy & excited. I hope the trip goes well. Very nice colors in the hat. Thank goodness the rain is gone.