Saturday, August 09, 2008

Stick a Fork in It


My Italian Market Bag is finished. I am so thrilled with how it turned out. The only problem now is keeping the girls from taking it! I love this yarn, soft, pliable with just enough sparkle to add some interest. The ending kicked by bu** though as I had to frog it several times. I thought I would end with seed stitch but after 4 rows I decided it didn't look very good so I had to tink it all. I hate taking things out so it was a struggle for me. I decided to use stockinette instead and was hapy with how that turned out.

Then I bound off and had a big, huge floppy opening. I didn't like that so had to take that all out. I decided to pretty much k2tog all the way around and then bind off again. For awhile I was nervous that it would then be too small of an opening but it turned out just right.

I looked all round for white rope handles but couldn't find any. I couldn't even find any good rope to try to fashion in to handles. I did find some white drape tie backs and got all excited over those, but when I got them home (of course I didn't have the bag with me at the time) they didn't look good with it. Too fancy. So I decided to knit the handles. After that I tried a few different things and pulled them all out, I finally landed on making it in to a strap with "blocks" of stockinette followed by a purl row.

I will type up the pattern and post it in case anyone is interested. I have seen links on people's blogs to patterns that open up to nice PDF files of the pattern. Does anyone know how to do that? If so I'd love to hear.

The joining bug has bit me again so I joined two KAL's this week! Luckily both are small. One is Dish Rag Tag through the Yarn Miracle. I did it last year and it was a lot of fun (even though our team - Lucky 13 - lost solely based on where the mailman placed our box! - I'm still bitter.) I figure a dish rag is a pretty quick knit so that's not too much of a commitment. Also check out the Fashionably Late in 2008 KAL and join me to knit a smoke ring. I've never made one before but I think it will be fast and easy and make really impressive gifts.

4 comments:

km said...

I'm heading up to the bay area tomorrow. So, I'm packing and I'll make this quick. I have photoshop and in that program, you can save as a pdf. As for how the link works...I've not tried that yet. The bag looks great. I'm still working on my BYOB. I think I'll really like it...and I see more of these bags in my future.

monica said...

Your bag looks fantastic!!

hakucho said...

I love your bag :)

There are some free paces (google them) where you can upload your PDF files for hosting purposes but the one I had used ...can't remember the name...didn't work out...they ended up dumping my files so I ended up uploading them to our comcast webpage. Work great and I don't have to pay any more and no worries that they will get dumped. Many people use Box.net. Not familar with it.

smariek said...

I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat which allows me to create PDF files. If I didn't have this, I would probably do a Google search for those websites that convert files to PDF for free.

I used to use the Quicksharing.com site which Hakucho also used. But then one day they had a melt down or something cuz it just stopped working, all our files had been deleted, and even though the site was still up we were unable to re-upload files.

Right now I put my files on Box.net. The free service is fine, I haven't even made a dent on my quotas (whatever they may be) with all the files I've put there.

I like the reusable bag. Reusable and washable.