Thursday, October 16, 2008

My So-called Red Scarf

My scarf for the Red Scarf Project is finished! I'm very happy with how it turned out. It is the "My So-Called Scarf" pattern knit in my beloved Berroco Jasper. I was able to make the striping consistent when I changed skeins which is an accomplishment for me. The OFA gathers the scarves to deliver to college students on Valentine's Day. They define "orphan" as anyone who has lost their parents or has been in the foster care system. I'm so excited to think that my scarf will bring joy to a young man or woman working to get an education. I just wish I'd know who ends up with it!

6 comments:

km said...

That came out really lovely. I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled.

I've been meaning to ask...are you signed up for free patterns from Berroco. I got this one last week, and thought of you. http://www.berroco.com/knitbits/knitbits_261_H.html

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've never seen this scarf knit in stripes before. It turned out great!

monica said...

Very nice. I am sure it will be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Good for you!

One of the first times I knit for someone outside my family was a young man in foster care. He couldn't believe I was doing it: "But I never did anything for you!"

Precisely. I was trying to teach him that there are people who will be kind to him simply because he exists.

He was one of the rare ones who got a college degree, and is now married, owns a house, and has two little girls. I like to feel I own a part of that, for having invested myself in his success. I wish you could know who got your scarf too, because the experience is powerful! But either way--I'm very glad you're doing it.

hakucho said...

Your scarf is beautiful.I love how the striping worked out. It's awesome:) Very lucky person who ends up with it!!

smariek said...

Your scarf turned out beautifully. One of these days I will knit that scarf.