Friday, October 10, 2008

Take me to Jamaica

I was wasting time on Ravelry the other day and came across this adorable bag called a Jamaica Pouch. It is made out of Katia Jamaica cotton and really takes advantage of its amazing colors. I bought two skeins of this yarn when I was in Boston with Jennifer in March of 2007 because the colors were just so vibrant. Ever since then I have been searching for the perfect use for it. I think I've finally found it! It is a very easy pattern and even the bottom is really cute!
I don't usually discuss financial matters on a knitting blog but after the week we've just had I think it's unavoidable. In the Silicon Valley where we suffer from about 2 degrees of separation rather than six, everyone is talking about a meeting held this week by one of the venture capital firms. They used such quotes as, "it's always darkest before it's pitch black!" Someone else I know said we should all invest in gold because money may some day be worthless. I tried to explain to my husband that I'm doing my best to invest in gold - I just feel you should be able to wear it until you need to spend it! Then it dawned on me. If money ever became worthless I'd still have my stash! I mean think about it. Yarn would definitely be valuable. It can provide clothing and warmth. You could make things and trade them.

Has anyone read the book The City of Ember (soon to be a major motion picture)? It is about a city that is underground because of some catastrophe top side. The grandmother of the main carachter owns a yarn store and given they have been living underground for 200 years, they've run out of the original supply of yarn it was stocked with and now she spends her day unraveling sweaters and the like to create "new" yarn because it is that valuable. So now I know we'll all be fine. We have our yarn - what more do we need?

4 comments:

hakucho said...

Do you know what you just did? Enabled us to stock up on more yarn!
It's definitely very essential. Who needs new clothes and shoes...when we have yarn? Yay ;)

km said...

I don't even like thinking about all this. But, I am forever grateful that I can knit, sew, garden, and cook.

Wendy said...

I've always believed that we all needed a skill incase the world as we knew it came to an end. My skill was knitting. Sticks and string in hand, I'm ready.

Jean said...

The colors on the purse are quite fun, I do hope you will post more photos of your vest, I am quite curios about it as I plan to knit one later this year.