I've signed up for the new Secret Pal 10 which is about to start and I'm looking forward to it. My first Secret Pal exchange was SP8 and I'm very thankful that I participated in it because that it what caused me to start my blog. Having a blog is a requirement for the SP exchanges. I have really enjoyed having a blog and getting to know all of you out in blogland. Also SP8 allowed me to meet my wonderful upstream pal Brooke and my wonderful downstream pal Lynae.
If you think of it, the Secret Pal exchanges are actually pretty amazing. Basically people sign up to send presents to someone else. I mean that's really all it is. You're not necessarily knitting something for them (unless you want to), you're just giving. I think it's so wonderful that there are so many people out there who want to give to others. True - you also get back (which of course is very cool) but still, it's hundreds of people signing up to buy presents for one another. Where else do you see something like that?
I gave SP9 a pass as I was too busy at the time. It's not like I really have the time now but I couldn't pass up SP10. So here goes with my questionnaire and to my secret SP10 pal - I'm so excited to add you to my warn and wonderful on-line knitting community. Welcome!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I have several favorites, cashmere, silk, alpaca, really anything soft. Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk is my favorite. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I'm not crazy about novelty yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I use plastic boxes for the straight needles and a binder with plastic zip compartments (like those ones you put your pencils in for grade school) to hold the circulars. I have an absolutely gorgeous holder for my best straight needles which Jennifer made for me.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I have been knitting for 5 years. My Mom taught me because I wanted to knit a blanket for my son before he was born. I think I'm an intermediate knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Nope
5. What's your favorite scent? I like vanilla, lavendar, citrus, almond and any other yummy smells.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Are you kidding? Favorite candy? Anything Chocolate. Lindt balls, almond joy, Swedish Fish.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?I like to scrapbookbut I must admit that I havn't done much since I became addicted to knitting. Do you spin? No
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like rock, pop and cross-over country. I have fairly broad tastes in music. I can play music on my computer or iPod
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Purple, red, pink Any colors you just can't stand? I'm not crazy about dark green
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married with 3 kids, 2 cats and a bearded dragon lizard named Saphira.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I wear scarves, not hats, shawls, not ponchos and probably fingerless gloves (I do live in California after all).
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I've been in to felted purses lately but now want to make some shawls.
13. What are you knitting right now? Where do I start? Some felted bags, some scarves, a shrug for my daughter, a wrap, a baby blanket, a hat and my hyphen boy bag.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Depends on what I'm making but probably not plastic.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Probably the afghan I started at least 2 years ago. It's all knit in 3 panels but still needs to be put together.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas although I like all holidays. I just like to celebrate and have fun with family and friends.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Not really.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I like Interweave but don't have a subscription.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Anything related to lace.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I'm hoping to make my first pair of socks this year. I have size 9.5 foot.
23. When is your birthday? November 18th - Scorpio Baby!