Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Solstice

Happy Summer Solstice! I always have mixed feelings about June 21st. On the one hand - it is the first day of summer which is of course a wonderful thing. Summer is a fabulous season filled with vacations, BBQ's, beaches, family, friends and just a much more relaxed feeling than the rest of the year. I must say that as the mother of three the ability to get up in the morning and get out the door to work without having to get anyone to school is such a relief. However it is also the longest day of the year which means tomorrow the daylight hours are already going to start getting shorter. That always makes me think, "hey - I just started gearing up for summer - you can't start shortening the days on me!" I realize that is a "glass is half empty" way of thinking but somehow this date always strikes me. I guess this year I'll get some extra sun when we are in Alaska where it will be light until midnight or later. For those who read the Yarn Harlot she has been posting photos of what it looks like at midnight - pretty cool. I'm glad you're looking forward to our virtual trip and am excited to take you all with me. I will also be taking my wavy shawl pictured above. I really couldn't capture the colors in the photo but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Knitting with a mix of yarns and colors was scary at first - it looked hideous when I started - but I am very happy with how it turned out. I think it will be a perfect wrap for those somewhat dressy evening meals on the ship don't you think? Now make sure your passports are up to date and start thinking about what knitting projects you will be bringing because of course that is the most important part of packing! Do you think we'll be able to find any moose hair yarn . . . .

2 comments:

hakucho said...

I love the way your wavy shawl came out...very pretty :)

happy knitting :)

LisaW. said...

your wavy scarf will be a perfect wrap...haha..no moose hair yarn..too coarse! however, the Alaska zoo actually sells a yarn made from the fibers of the camels and llamas and "other" hooved creatures that live there...just a novelty mind you, but fun for kicks.