Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Shake it up Baby

Tonight we had an earthquake. Welcome to California! It was 5.6 on the richter scale and the epicenter was about 30 miles from our house. At first I heard a loud noise which sounded like a plane flying lower over our house. Then the house began to shake and you should have seen the look on the girls' faces! It rolled along for about 30 seconds and then was over. Having grown up in California and having survived the big quake of '89, this one was not even scary. But to my kids who have never felt a bigger quake they were - well - a little shook up. No damage here. I still haven't heard the reports from close to the center. I hope everyone is alright.
In other news, I have taken a short break from the Secret of the Stole to make yet another hat. This one is a Sharks hat. Anyone who lives in the range of the earthquake knows how we love our hockey team. My husband is taking my daughter and her friend to the Sharks game on Friday so I decided she needed the perfect hat in team colors. The yarn is Moods from Universal Yarn in a 50/50 wool/acrylic blend. It is very soft to work with. I used the Foliage pattern from the Fall Knitty.com and I am now in love with this pattern. It is so simple and quick yet it looks like an intricate design. I'm definitely going to make this one again! I'm now also inspired to make more Sharks items - I got this yarn from the Yarn Pirate thinking it was worsted weight. It is actually fingering weight. Any suggestions of what I should make?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband sat down next to me on the couch just as it started it, and at first I thought it was him! Too funny. But then, of course, it kept going.

He's 6'8", a very big guy, and when the Loma Prieta started, the guy down the hall at his work yelled, Hey Rich! Quit jumping up and down! They've laughed about it ever since.

Janice said...

Glad you are ok! We felt many earthquakes while living in Japan.. They are kinda scarey!! I love the hat! I'll have to find the pattern. Anything that is easy and fast but looks intricate sounds perfect!! I definitely think that the Yarn Pirate yarn wants to be socks. Socks on 2 circulars... what are you waiting for???

Jknits said...

Great hat! Very glad you are okay. I'll bet 30 seconds seems like a loooooooong time when the earth is shaking.

Bonnie O. said...

YIKES! I didn't hear about an earthquake. Glad there was no damage.

hakucho said...

Glad you survived the earthquake!!!

Sharks hat...very pretty!

Fingering weight yarn from yarn pirate.....perhaps socks??

LisaW. said...

i hear ya about the earthquakes...alaska is also a major quake center. i try not to get too shookup about it (cracking myself up). so anyway, you've totally inspired me to start a foliage..thank you so much! looks great!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I freak about earthquakes everytime I am in SF... i pray they don't have one while I am there.. Years ago (1980s) when I lived in the Bay Area, we had big studly construction guys from LA staying w/us. An earthquake hit and they had their bags packed.. I laughed.. sissy boys!! they preferred hurricanes over 'quakes.. whatever.. i shamed them in to staying... LOL>