If any of you have not tried Cat Bordhi's mobius you are in for something quite unusual. The Yarn Harlot once said that Cat looks at knitting and says, "how can I make this harder?" I think she may be right! The mobius is cast on in a very strange way and then you are knitting round and round on both sides of the work. It's really quite odd and I must say that I can't totally figure it out. But I saw a mobius hat and thought it was so cute. I felt like I had to give it a try. The mobius part is just the band but I think it turned out pretty cute - what do you think?
As to something OTHER than hats - I decided to join Secret Pal 12. It's been awhile since I have been in an exchange so I thought what the heck. So here are my answers for my wonderful anonyous pal out there whoever you are!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I have lots of favorite yarns. Pretty much whatever gorgeous yarn I have found for the project du jour. I'm not crazy about novelty yarns and don't really use that much in the way of bulky yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a beautiful needle case that my friend Jennifer made for me which houses some of my straight needles. I have a binder with little plastic pencil holders in it to hold my circular needles. I also have two boxes to hold other needles - one for up to size 9 and one for larger sizes. Basically a workable but not fabulous system.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned to knit when I was pregnant with my son and have been knitting now for 6 years. My wonderful Mom taught me and I'm probably now an intermediate knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I don't but maybe I should create one!
5. What's your favorite scent? Lavender, Citrus and cinnamon.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?CHOCOLATE of course! Also Swedish Fish and Sour Balls.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I don't spin and am trying hard to avoid it - the last thing I need is more ways to take up my time. I do scrapbook although I haven't done so in quite awhile.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like lots of different types of music - rock, pop, jazz and others. I have an ipod and I'm pretty sure I can play am MP3.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love purple and red. I'm not so crazy about orange and dark green.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm married with 3 kids, 2 cats and a bearded dragon lizard.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I wear scarves and although I knit lots of hats I actually don't wear them. I wear gloves but no ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Hats! I also am enjoying making shawls although they take me MUCH longer!
13. What are you knitting right now? I'm trying to make as many hats as possible right now to donate for Realy for Life. I have 4 done and 3 on the needles. I also have 2 shawls, 2 pairs of fingerless gloves, a sweater for my son, a baby blanket, at least 2 scarves and several other items OTN!
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes I do.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? It depends on the project. I like straight for scarves, circular for almost everything else, I have lots of bamboo but like the aluminum for lace. Not really a plastic fan. I'm loving the KnitPicks options in the Harmony wood.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I do!
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Well how do you define a UFO? If it's something that is knit but not assembled then probably at least 3 years. If it is something still on the needles than maybe 2 . . . .
18. What is your favorite holiday? I love Christmas - it's such a fun family time, we get together with lots of different people, work tends to slow down a bit and then or course there is giving and receiving presents!
19. Is there anything that you collect? I love dragonflys but I'm not sure I would say I collect them.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Nothing special but always open to other people's suggestions. I don't have any current subscriptions.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I would love to learn intarsia. Whenever I change colors on something you can always see where it occured.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I have just started knitting socks but haven't yet finished one. I wear a size 9.5 shoe and have thick ankles.
23. When is your birthday? November 18th
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? Why Allisondragonfly of course!