Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

I'm so excited - I've joined Secret Pal 8 and it's just about to get started. I've never done one of the SP's before but I often see mentions of them on people's blogs. I think this will be fun. Any of you out there who have done one of these before I'd love to get your advice. Please let me know what worked well and what didn't. What gifts you liked (or didn't!) So I'm supposed to post my answers to the questionnaire so here goes:

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? My absolute favorite yarn is Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. When I knit with it I just keep feeling it and making everyone else around feel it. I just noticed they've come out with a DK weight so I'm definitely going to have to try that. I love soft yarns, I love yarns that self stripe or have multiple colors in them. I'm not crazy about Mohair.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a long plastic container that is now totally full!

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting for about 3.5 years. I'd say that I'm intermediate. Haven't yet made a s weater so one of these days . . . .

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I don't but that's a good idea - I'll make an Amazon wish list!

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Probably lavendar although I like sandalwood and most flowers but I'm alergic to juniper and freesia.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I do - It's all about the chocolate baby! Oh and Swedish Fish too!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I like to scrapbook. I don't spin and need to stay away from it because I can't have one more thing I'm trying to do!

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like lots of different musics. Pop, soft rock, country, big band. I can play CD's in my car or on my computer.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? My favorite colors are purple and red. But I also like pink and blue and most colors. I don't like forest green but I'm liking the lime green that is in right now.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am married with 3 kids - two girls and one boy - and have 2 cats and a green anole lizard.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I wear scarves, mittens I'd prefer without fingers and not too in to ponchos but probably a shawl. I live in California so not much call for real heavy things.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I like knitting things for other people mainly. Something that has a pattern to keep my interest up. I mainly make "flat" things - haven't ever made anything fitted. I make scarves, clapotis, blankets, throws, felted purses and the like.

13. What are you knitting right now? I am making a prawl shawl for a friend who is having back surgery, a throw for my oldest daughter, a baby blanket for my nanny who is due in August, a felted bag for the Tote Exchange, another felted bag for the Oh Bag It KAL and two cabled scarves - one is an Irish Hiking Scarf and one is the here and there cables from Scarf Style. I also want to start a baby blanket from a pattern in the new Mason Dixon Book for another friend who is having a baby in August.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I tend to use circular bamboo needles but I do like straight fancy needles. I don't have any aluminum or plastic so have never tried them.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I do not and have been in the market for one.

17. How did you learn to knit? My Mom taught me. When I was pregnant with my third child I wanted to knit him a blanket so I asked my Mom to teach me. It was just knit stich back and forth, I made it pretty large and with yarn that had some interest to it. It took me 7 months since I didn't work on it that much! I am so lucky in that now it is his favorite blanky and he has to have it every night. Gratification!

18. How old is your oldest UFO? I have an afghan that I started probably 8 months ago. It is really large. 3 strips with 4 squares each with each square being 18x18 inches. I JUST finished the last strip this week. Now I have to block it, sew it together and put a border on. Hopefully that won't take another 8 months!

19. What is your favorite holiday? Probably Christmas although I also really like doing fun things for my kids' birthdays.

20. Is there anything that you collect? Not really although I love dragonflies so you could probably say I collect those in that I buy just about anything I can find with a dragonfly on it!

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don't have any subscriptions to knitting magazines so if there is one you'd suggest that would be great. I would like the Pursanalities Felted Purse Book (but I think it is pretty expensive) and also the Saxon Braid Scarf and Cotton Candy Scarf patterns from http://www.darnyarn.net. I'd also like the pattern for Rogue.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I just heard about something called Tunisian crochet that is a cross between knitting and crochet that is supposed to be cool.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Too funny - haven't ever knit a sock - see my post "What's up with all the socks!" As to my foot - it is a 9 1/2 wide.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) November 18th

No comments: