Sunday, May 07, 2006

Thank Goodness for Babies



I went to visit my friend Dana today and see her new baby girl. I am so happy for her and it was great to meet her sweet little bundle of joy. What made the visit extra special was the fact that I had knit her a baby blanket and I finally got to meet the baby I made it for. My friend was appropriately impressed and appreciative. As I said good bye and parted with "my baby blanket" I realized how knitting for babies is such a part of - well knitting! It seems to me that a good portion of what people knit is made for babies. So it's a good thing there are so many babies coming in to the world. It gives us all something - or some one - to knit for. So to keep up the baby knitting I am also knitting a blanket for my friend Vicky who is due late August. I have been working on this one

or awhile and need to step up the pace. I am making the Baby Blocks pattern by Ann Norling which is in the front of Debbie Macomber's book "The Shop on Blossom Street". The pattern is easy and goes smoothly but it is for a big baby blanket. It would have probably looked better on some solid yarn that really shows the pattern but I still think it looks nice with this yarn. I also really like the log cabin (or Baby Moderne) blanket in the new Mason Dixon knitting book - My friend Adam is having another baby late August as well . . . . Better get crackin!

TODAY'S QUESTION: What item that you knit and gave away as a gift did you most want to keep?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Love the baby blankets! I have two nieces or nephews or one of each coming this fall and need to get cracking on blankets or sweaters or something for them!

I don't knit a lot of gifts, just a few scarves and those were easy to give away because the yarn wasn't very special. I don't know if I could give away something in a yarn that I really, really loved.