Sunday, May 17, 2009

Knit On

I thought I'd share some actual knitting with you. I HAVE been doing some knitting although mainly I've been starting things. I have serious "start-itis" and not enough "finish-itis". I keep thinking of things I want to make and yarn I want to purchase. I have been trying hard to restrain myself although I'm not have much success. I have continued to work on hats for Relay for Life but I thought I'd show you something other than a hat for a change.

Awhile back I purchased some Crystal Palace Iceland yarn at a LYS sale. It is a very bulky wool in seriuosly bright colors. I had no idea what I wanted to make with it I just knew I had to have it. Recently I have been considering making the Kiki Mariko rug from the new Mason Dixon book but just can't quite bring myself to spend the time to knit a rug. So instead I decided to use the concept to knit a felted bag. I only had 4 colors and the pattern calls for 8 but I decided I would just give it a whirl. I'm learning how to knit fair isle 2 handed and it is going reasonably well. It definitely makes things work better and tangle way less. I put a skein on either side of me and off I go. It's slower than regular knitting but hopefully I'll get faster the more I try it. So stay tuned for my Kiki Mariko bag - I definitely see more things out of this "pattern" in the future! I may just find myself making that rug . . . .

How's Molly you ask? How sweet of you to inquire! She is doing well. The potty training is going quite well with very, very few mistakes. She has started puppy class and can sit, down, stay and spin in both directions (not quite sure the point of that one but it's fun!) Our town had our annual pet parade on Saturday and she was a star. It's such a cheesy event and I love it. Half the town walks in the parade and the other half watches. There were dogs, cats, lizards, goats, ponies, horses, fish and a bull mastiff dog that is the biggest thing I've ever seen. She has never walked that far before and all of the excitement wore her out. At the end she totally flopped and we had to carry her to the car! Look at those long gangly legs! It's still very hard to photograph her. The deep black of her coat for some reason makes it really difficult but trust me - she's GORGEOUS!






4 comments:

km said...

The Kiki Mariko pattern is definitely in my queue. It's just hard to find time to knit all that I want to. I think the bag idea is great. A good way to practice...and it will be beautiful.

Molly is such a cutie. When I had 3 small babies in the house, I told M that we could get a dog when the youngest was 5. He reminded me of that last week. We're in the final year countdown and he's counting...ack. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for more potty training. But then I see such a cute face...and how could you not love a soft friend like that?

km said...

I just gave you an imagination award. I want to know what inspires you...why you love handmade gifts.

Vicki said...

she is very cute...does she like to chew your sandals?

Jean said...

What a beautiful puppy, its wonderful a dog is incorporated into its owner's life. My three standards are my companions and will be for many years to come.