Monday, June 19, 2006

The Whirl that was Purl (of SoHo that is)

Several weeks ago I went to New York for some business meetings. I got up at the crack of dawn, flew to JKF, sat in horrible traffic from the airport to Times Square, endured a rain, thunder and lightening storm and arrived for my meetings. The meetings were already underway when I arrived on Thursday, went from 8 a.m. Friday until 11 p.m. and started again at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning. Now I figured that if I was going to fly all the way to New York I at least needed to do one fun thing so I researched yarn stores before I left. I found out that Purl of SoHo was a mere 2.9 miles from my hotel so I figured that was perfect. Now I knew there wouldn't be time to walk so I figured I'd take a cab. I snuck out of my meetings at 11:25 and figured - 15 minute cab ride over (way more time than you should need for 3 miles right???), 15 minute cab ride back and a full hour in the store. I had to meet one of my partners at 1 p.m. to ride to the airport together. Well the ride over went pretty well although it seemed much further than 2.9 miles I must say. SoHo is very cute and we quickly found the store. My first shock was just how TINY it is. But boy do they pack in a lot of yarn! They have some yummy stuff too. I got the Mongolian cashmere that is in my earlier post (the one with the pink and white scarf), the Lorna's Laces washable wool above in teal for a baby blanket - it is sooooo soft, and this adorable silk with sequins - I also got one in pink for my Mom. I think they will become light and airy scarves. There was tons of other stuff but I didn't want to go broke so I left after about 45 minutes (you can shop much quicker in store where you can see all 4 walls at the same time) and caught a cab back to the hotel. I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then I realized my mistake. Apparently there was some parade closing one major atery and an art faire closing another. I sat and sat and sat and watched the time tick away, 12:45, 1:00, 1:15 - I started calling the hotel and e-mail my colleague to tell him to go without me. I just about had a heart attack in the cab as we were moving at the rate of one block every 5 mintues and we were 18 blocks away!!! But bless his heart my cabbie got me back to the hotel, waited while I claimed my luggage and then drove like a frickin maniac to the airport. I caught my plane and collapsed in to my seat. Can you imagine if I had to tell my husband I missed my plane because I went to a yarn store??? I'm thinking alien abduction is a better excuse . . . .

2 comments:

Kish said...

Yikes, close call. I'd go with the alien abduction story lol. I absolutely love the pink yarn with the small sequins in it!

Holly said...

I missed Julia Roberts by a few hours at Purl a few months ago. I drug my husband along that day and he was none too happy about it. I think if we had gone a few hours later, he'd have been happy to be there!!!